Review of applications will begin: To be determined
Desired Start Date: To be determined
Assist the head coach with all aspects of the Men’s Basketball program.
This position reports directly to the Head Men’s Basketball Coach. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Assist the head coach in the organization and preparation of practices and in conducting safe and strategic individual and team training sessions and competitive strategies.
- Support the head coach in the development and incorporation of a comprehensive recruiting plan that demonstrates successful results for the recruitment, yield and retention of academically and athletically qualified student-athletes.
- Serve as a mentor, teacher, leader and role model to a diverse group of student-athletes.
- Help develop and implement game plans, reports, strategies and on-field duties as assigned.
- Assist in film breakdown of team matches as well as opponent’s films.
- Assist with the arrangement and supervision of transportation, lodging and meals in conjunction with off-campus competition. Works with the team to ensure representation of the college, while off-campus, is at the highest level.
- Coordinate team, alumni and community outreach and events.
- Represent the college and its athletics program with honesty, integrity and sportsmanship at all times to various institutional programs and students, parents, the general public, alumni and external agencies.
- Develop a positive, professional relationship with officials, league personnel, and coaching colleagues.
- Comprehend, understand and work within the parameters of Whitman College, the NWC and NCAA Division III philosophy and rules.
- Responsible for 40 hours of game management responsibilities as assigned by the Event Management Director.
- Complete special projects and other duties as assigned by the Head Men’s Basketball Coach and the Director of Athletics.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must possess excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills. Must be highly motivated and have the ability to work independently and in team settings. Must demonstrate sound judgment and mature decision-making abilities. Attention to detail in planning and communicating. Comfort and confidence with recruiting, practice and training modes, competitive strategies, film analysis and social media is preferred. Ability to positively and actively contribute to the College’s core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Bachelor’s degree and coaching experience at the college level, or equivalent significant high school/club coaching experience, is preferred. Must have the ability to work nights, weekends and holidays.